Tuesday, September 29, 2009

James - 7 months

Sometimes I hesitate to write anything here, but then I remember this is my space, and I write for myself. The things I write here aren't meant to be taken as complaints or whinings, but just "stuff" that happens around the homestead, plus my ramblings. It is a continuous, exciting, and at times heart breaking journey, but I am learning a lot.

This morning as we were getting ready to leave to go to a friend's to help out and do our schoolwork, Lauren came in from feeding the animals to tell me that Dolly (milk goat) had blood streaming from her head. I went out to check her out, and noticed about a silver dollar size injury on top of her head. She was eating so I knew it wasn't too bad, and figured that she and the biggest male goat had been butting heads. I think she is getting ready to breed, because he is following her around and she is flirting with him. He runs all the other males off too.

Bo, the Pyr, also had a hurt foot last night. I noticed him limping. Lauren went and checked him this morning, and said his foot was green, purple and red. I didn't have time to check him then, so waited until this afternoon. I think he was bit by a snake. She poured peroxide on it earlier, and tonight I looked at it, expressed the fluid and put neosporin on it. I gave him food and water which he gulped down, and he laid down to sleep. I think he'll be fine, but I'll keep an eye on him.

I started my new part time job at a local bookstore/internet cafe today. It was pretty fun. The kids behaved, and Lauren really liked it. I'd like to be able to work there full time, though I think I'd get a sitter for the kids if it was any longer than 2 hours a day. They were champing at the bit to go home. Hannah was hungry, and tired. James was tired, I was thirsty lol. I need to pack things for them to do, and snacks.

The grass by the gate needs to be cut, and around the house. I am so thankful that God has been watching over us and no one has been bit by a snake. The girls think I am mean that I won't let them run around outside at night, but that is too dangerous. I plan to buy a motion sensor porch light this weekend if all goes well, so at least I can step outside without getting a surprise. I need to find someone to replace the security light on the post for me. It's pretty high, so I don't know who or how...

The barn is a mess. Those darn goats! They have torn up the barn so bad! Well, I am off to bed, I am way tired and my hands are hurting from typing so much tonight.

1 comment:

Bob Westbrook said...

Hey Amy!!! Good to hear about the part time job you found. Every little bit helps. How far are you from Georgetown? If I go visit my dad I'm thinking I could swing by and work on some stuff for you.