Saturday, September 19, 2009

Warm, and sunny today (not overly hot, thank God, but warmer than I had anticipated.) No rain, mosquitoes are out in full force and HUGE. These are the first mosquitoes we've seen out here.

I have been asked for the link to the blog I stumbled across. It is http://wretha.blogspot.com
I found it at www.off-grid.net, and am still reading. I am up to July 2008 so far. Very cool, makes me feel downright frivolous LOL! Of course, compared to most people I know, they would FREAK to realize that someone is living more bare bones than I am. She has refueled my resolved to get alternate sources of energy here.

Today at the craft show was fun, I met a lot of new people, and some that I knew, but wasn't aware were in the area. One was my son's former 5th grade teacher. He is now 20. A few were former people I had gone to church with, and others I just generally knew from the small town I lived in before I moved to this even more remote area. I was asked to volunteer to work at the local museum. They are having an event in October to raise money for the Volunteer Fire Department. VFD's are something I always support, especially living so far out. This VFD is about a mile away from me, so that is very comforting. (When we built out here we did like the idea that the cabin is metal, plus we put in an 1100 gallon water tank with a fire hose attachment on the bottom, just in case we had grass fires. )

I sold one hat today, and Lauren sold one friendship bracelet. We made a grand total of $6. We were disappointed. James was generally good, though he did fuss a little during the day. He is still sick. I came home bathed him, fed and rocked him, and he is now asleep in the bed beside me. I looked and looked for my humidifier so I could put the Vicks Steam in there, but couldn't locate it. I looked at Walmart yesterday, but they were over $20.00 for a new one, and I am on a very limited budget. I saw this little plug in humidifier, fits right in the electric plug socket. There are little pads soaked with Eucalyptus and Lavender, and a few other herbal ingredients. It is supposed to work the same way as the humidifier. I am assuming that this plug in consumes less power, though not sure. On a positive note it does take up way less space, something that is a premium when your entire house is only 8 feet wide. Plus, there isn't any water to worry about spilling or humidifier to trip over in the floor. I can smell the Eucalyptus already, so hope it helps everyone breathe and sleep easier tonight.

Lauren and I came home tonight, and after everyone was in bed we cleaned up some, she likes to do the living room and bathroom, and I generally do the bedroom and the kitchen area. I did a bit in the bedroom before the baby got too fussy, then stopped. I am hoping to get the energy to do the dishes. We have been rushing around too much this week. First, at co-0p Monday, field trip on Wednesday, and errands on Friday, plus the craft show today. We have church in the a.m., then co-op again on Monday. I have plans to stay home the rest of the week to get the house clean and in order.

We did stop by at Tractor Supply about 5 small towns away (LOL) to pick up a goat mineral block, another type for Nena that contains iron, and some alfalfa cubes (protein). Since she is anemic and protein deficient, I have been worried about her. She seems to be a little more active, though I did put her in the barn by herself again (well she has the turkens and the rabbit from company). Those nasty boys won't leave her alone. She's too little to breed with, but they keep trying, which knocks her to the ground. Poor little thing.

Tasks on my to do list are:

laundry (my niece complained about how hard my towels were, she told me I needed fabric softener, my response "no amount of softener is going to make line dried towels soft and fluffy."

pick up wind blown trash
pick up aluminum cans and put in recycle container (we picked up a trash bag full off of the roadway on the way to the land)
clean out barn
rake out goat pen
work on tiller (learn how to mix the fuel)
price lattice and stock panels
price 4 X 4 posts plus a few 2 X 4's

1 comment:

WrethaOffGrid said...

Hello, thanks for the link! I have a lot of readers but the ones that delight me the most are the ones like you. :) People who are actually DOING something, doing the thing they love, actively working toward their dream, whether it be living off grid, or owning your own business, doesn't matter as long as you are DOING IT. :)

I sometimes forget how the rest of the USA lives, I don't consider myself living without, at least not now, perhaps in the beginning, it's funny because I actually do pretty much the same things I did when I lived in town, I go to work (although much less than I did before, and I love my "job" working at the Country Store), I come home and make dinner, I get on my computer. I did all of those things before, I just have a much better view now :) and I don't have to walk as far to go to bed, or cook, or use the composting toilet...

I never watched TV very much before, what I did watch was usually streaming over the internet. The walk to my car is nicer, longer but still nicer. Instead of light switches, I have power bricks with on/off switches (we ALWAYS turn them off when not in use), and the main light over the cook area, we just unscrew it when we want it off.

I don't think about any of this until I go into someone else's house, I see all the lights (usually on when no one is in the room), the big TVs (again, playing with no one watching), the huge fridge (full of unwanted, moldering left overs), I see them running water down the drain with no regard of where it comes from or where it goes, I see flush toilets... I know what goes on behind all of those "luxuries", the bills! Thank God I don't have to shell out for all of those "luxuries", no thank you, I'll continue living in my small sky castle with my fabulous view.

Again, thanks for your link, and be sure to leave more comments, I love them! I'm following both of your blogs too.
Wretha