While I didn't find his speech today controversial, it also was nothing new. Parents and teachers tell their students/children this every day. Nothing he said will inspire the group as a whole, there may very well be one that he touched, but that is the case with teacher's every day.
People are wondering why parents did not want the President to address the kids since the speech was so benign. Think about it. He is a socialist, controversial man, so is it any wonder we would expect him to continue with more of his same rhetoric? More than likely he had a different speech prepared but after the flap, he came up with something simple. So simple, it was really a waste of time to hold the event. He has more important things to do than to speak to a bunch of kids who could care less.
Having said that, Lauren and I did watch the address on CSPAN and discussed it afterwards. She basically thought the entire thing was a waste of her time to listen to, but that is typical with kids. I did push her to pay attention to his words and to think about what her contribution would be to our country. We also discussed what her academic goal would be for the year and how she would accomplish this goal.
I don't think the speech was particularly "awesome" as I kept hearing on CSPAN. It was quite obvious calls were screened to only have those in support of the president speak.
I give the Office of President the respect it deserves, and believe our children also should respect the office, if not the person. The speech that was given was appropriate, though not necessary.
I attempt to teach my children to have respect for those in authority over them, while also teaching them to stand up for the true authority in our lives, the Word of God, and as Americans, the Constitution. If a president goes against the Constitution (the highest law in our land) and especially the Word of God, he is not to be obeyed or respected period.
2 comments:
Deceit is a central tenant in Islam. A wolf in sheep's clothing successfully pulled off a point of honor in that culture. Obama was raised moslem and is moslem as evidenced in his speeches in Cairo and the Mideast. So he'll shift and change as is convenient.
I wholeheartedly agree. He is definitely a shape shifter. I can see directly behind his false smile. The first time I saw Bill Clinton, it was in passing on the TV. I had no idea who he was, but I sensed the same thing in him, he actually scared me when I saw him. Barack Obama even more so. I am not a diehard Republican and give every politician a chance to prove themselves, but there is nothing positive about having him as the President. I don't claim him as mine, just like I didn't claim Clinton or Bush towards the end of his presidency. It's all such a mess.
Post a Comment