The memorial service is over. I am so tired. This week has been tiring. My grandmother arrived on Wednesday evening. I last saw her last Thanksgiving, she looks more frail. I think she is 76, but not sure.
I spent the morning shopping in a nearby town and getting the kids appropriate things to wear to the memorial service. I also had to stop by the funeral home and drop off the hub cab that we were having cremated with my dad. He used to joke about being buried inside his 1958 Chevy Biscayne, so we figured this was the next best thing.
The cremation took place this afternoon, and I am supposed to pick up my father's ashes on Monday, but will wait until the director contacts me before I go up there...
The service this evening was good.
The order of service looked like this:
Cliff (former music director when I was young) sang Because of God's Amazing Grace
Pastor Kelly talked about the story of the Good Samaritan in the Bible
We played the song "I can only imagine"
Then Kelly read the euology (see http://www.hurleyfuneralhome.com/ for the obituary)
The song "I lift my eyes up" was next
My husband read something he had written for the occasion, we were all very surprised.
He's not a public speaker, and normally keeps to himself, but he and my dad did a lot together.
The last song played was "Daddy's Hands" by Holly Dunn.
This last song was sufficient in reducing everyone to tears. All in all, the service was good. I think it was made easier by the fact that we didn't actually have my father there. That would have been hard to do, but we wouldn't have been able to have a viewing or open casket anyway, so the cremation, I guess, was actually a good idea, though I am still struggling with this...I try not to think about it.....
The church was full, between his co-workers, old friends, church members, my friends, and several family members we had lost contact with. It was glad to see more Queens, as there aren't many around. So, now I am in contact with my Cousins again, and am happy about that...
We had a picture of my dad in a race car blown up to poster size, along with the flag we received for his military service, and the scrapbook I had worked on last night, it was a great service. I was worried my grandmother would think it was not traditional enough, but the goal I wanted to strive for was an upbeat type of service that wouldn't make us feel any worse. She was happy, and told me we did a great job, which means a lot. I wanted her to be okay with the memorial, since she struggles with the cremation. Along with all the flowers, and friends, we actually had a good time talking with old friends and church members, and even meeting new family members we had heard about but never met. A few had travelled from WV, which surprised us!
I am off to bed....
1 comment:
May God bless you.
Post a Comment