Monday, January 21, 2008

Rough times ahead

I have been paying close attention to the news and reports of a recession/inflation/depression type event possible in the near future.

I just wanted to encourage anyone reading this blog to please prepare and try to get read for some hard times. I clearly remember the 1970's, though I was a young child ;-)

I am fully knowledgeable that my DH could lose his job in the near future, which is one of the reasons I am trying to downsize. Selling our house and getting out from under the mortgage payment, adding to my pantry to help with the lean times, of a smaller paycheck and not enough month, and trying to pay off any debt that I have, though I don't stress about that..I don't owe much, but what I do are medical bills that I am waiting for the insurance company to pay for..

Electric bills are projected to double, and may triple this year. Are you prepared? What would you do if you couldn't afford to pay the electric bill anymore?

Ace Hardware has a really great wood stove for about $149.00. For a total of $200.00 you could install a wood stove to help heat your home, and provide an alternate cooking source. That $200.00 is probably less than most people's electric bill now. If I didn't work at keeping my bill low it would climb into the $400 range. I am happy that it hovers between $79-$110 a month.

The three things you need to think about are food, water and shelter. These are the ONLY necessities.

While not agreeing with their belief system, the LDS have a great website on preparation. Check it out. Again, while not agreeing with their sole premise, FEMA has a few good ideas on their site.

Keep it real, keep it simple, keep it quiet.

No comments: