Friday, August 14, 2009

It's been hot, but much cooler at 98, than 105. I've been unable to work on my project too much during the day. I believe James is teething. He fusses non-stop all day, and has had diarrhea every day. This is such a change for his once a week bath room habit. I've been washing diapers daily. Thank God for the heat and the wind, they dry in about 30 minutes. I am short on plastic pants though. He has grown so big, that I only have three 12 month sizes, and with going through so many I am washing them out by hand and drying them immediately with a hand towel.

He falls asleep around 9 p.m., and I take that time to work on the business plan I was assigned. I believe I am almost done. I am working on a product/price list in Excel to attach to the plan, and just need to clean it up a little before submitting it. If I have done a good job, I may get the 8 month contract which would be awesome!

Well so far three of the puppies have died, 2 males and 1 female (baby Katrina). We have Caramel and Fatso left. We have been working fast and furious to help them. We washed them with flea and tick shampoo, I dipped them, even though they are too young, but the fleas were so bad, I had to try something. They were dying anyway. Not sure if it was fleas, heat, or genetics (their dad is their brother). Lauren and I fed them beef broth (Watkins) by eye dropper. It says it's made with real beef so I am hoping it has some iron in it for their anemia. I assume they have it since there are so many fleas sucking their blood. I gave them each .25 ml of the Poly Sybol Baby vitamins with Iron. After their bath we also had their mom lay down and let them nurse a while. She has been weaning them, but I am sure they could use the extra nourishment. They seem much better tonight. Walking around instead of staggering and weaving, they even went potty. I was going to keep them inside tonight, but their mom was whining and looking for them. She was very excited when I put them outside for her. She laid down with them right away.

I gave away three dozen eggs today. The chickens have been laying very well since I have been letting them free range, though I wish they'd use the nesting boxes and not lay everywhere on the farm.

I moved the rocking chair to the bedroom and am using it for a desk chair also. This is the coolest room during the day and with James not feeling well, I can sit here in front of the AC with him and rock him. This proved a life saver today. I wish I had thought of it earlier.

Taylor has been here the past few days helping out, though today I became a little irritated with him. He picks on the girls too much and is way too bossy. He did help me a lot today by going through all the boxes in the barn. I have been looking for the power cord for my sewing machine and my fabric. I only found a little of my fabric. I have no earthly idea where one tub is, it is driving me crazy. I plan to start sewing diapers for James, plus sew a few diapers and other items to sell at a craft sale in September and another in November.

I made pork loin with the onion soup mix in the crock pot for dinner. It sure did smell wonderful in here all afternoon. I also made egg noodles, corn, bread and iced tea. It was great to eat something that wasn't fast food. With being on the run so much lately we haven't been eating very healthy.

It was very relaxing today just hanging out, washing clothes, reading, watching t.v. and working on the computer. I hope tomorrow is just as relaxing. I have only 2 days left to finish the business plan, and I feel much less stressed than before. Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

Bob Westbrook said...

Hi Amy, I know you've been swamped. Do you think the puppies might have Parvo? Don't know much about it other than it's nasty and kills young puppies. Cherie and I keep you in our prayers. Get a chance email me.

Amy E said...

Thanks for thinking of me, no they don't have Parvo. I am very familiar with it. I believe it could be a combination of WAY too many fleas, the extreme heat and bad genes. The remaining two pups are doing great. We are bathing them every day, feeding them and making sure they eat. I think the bigger dogs were stealing their food, plus I have been giving them the baby liquid vitamins (Iron). They are perking up and running all over the place yet. I just feel bad that it took me so long to react. I had no idea there was a problem as they were under the house where the mom had them. Then they started dropping like flies. In a way it's a blessing, I know it sounds mean, but there was no way I could afford to spay them all, and the kids wouldn't want to get rid of them. One by one they are picked off by the coyotes or the hawks, and it's heartbreaking.

Thanks for praying for me you two!