Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Insomnia Ramblings

Lauren

It's almost 2 a.m., and my mind is whirling. I have had insomnia for most of my life, but I always hate it when I am in the midst of "one of those nights".

Since I am awake, I thought I would just post my thoughts for the summer session of homeschooling. My 9 year old went to public school this year at the insistence of her father. I was against it, but what to do...this was her first foray into public school, and I must say the experiement was BLECH!

She will be home again for schooling yeah! Along with my friend Candi, we will be using the Prairie Primer for our curriculum. I have used Abeka and done my own thing in the past, so this is something new for me. Of course, I will be supplementing with whatever else I come up with, that's just me. The Prairie Primer doesn't contain a math curriculum so I will be ordering 4th and 5th grade math for Lauren. She was supposed to be in 4th grade this year, but the public school refused to put her in the 4th grade, because of her age. Though her "teacher" states it is obvious she would have done well in 4th grade (now she tells me at the END of the year). She is way above reading level, but has stagnated on Math. Doing the same thing over had her bored, and while she got good grades, she is a year behind. I hope to work on 4th grade math this summer, and then evaluate where she is.. She aced the TAKS, which is the first time she took it. The school administrators cautioned me that she probably wouldn't pass because all the other kids had been trained for years already on how to take the test. Well, she did great!

We are leaving for vacation sometime in June, and may get started on school work right away when we return, or not. Candi and I need to talk more. Planning to do the 3 months on, 1 month off schedule that a friend suggested. Normally, I just stick with the normal public school schedule as it is easier for us. My son has always attended public school due to his special needs. He graduates from high school in two weeks! I can hardly believe it! While I don't like public school, I am glad that he will have his high school diploma, which he will need. Next step, college in the fall where he will study Turfgrass and Golf Course Management.

Okay, I finally feel sleepy, so I am going to give it a break now...good night.

2 comments:

Homekeeper Mom said...

Good Morning!! I can't believe how little sleep you get..........I LOVE my sleep! That is an adorable picture of Lauren,lol! I love it!

I always enjoy talking to you on the phone too! I'll miss ya this week; hopefully we can get together next week. I hope all your tests are going well for you.

Love,
~Candi

Peggy said...

Sounds like you did a great job homeschooling before and will do the same when you and your friend start again.