
I learned on Monday that I am not as prepared for a natural disaster as I thought I was. After a severe storm with 100 mph straight line winds, I needed to use the chain saw to get rid of some fallen branches. The only thing...I don't know how to use the chain saw.
During the storm, I also learned I need more candles, and I need some sort of food items on hand that can be eaten without cooking them. My family is extremely picky when it comes to food, and I have realized that in the event of a REAL emergency (nuclear war, hurricane, etc.) that my family will.....DIE. They are too "good" for trail mix, cold cereal or peanut butter crackers. Suffice it to say, they went hungry. I did offer to heat water on a sterno to make grits and/or oatmeal, but I got the LOOK. (The one that says mom is crazy, and looking for a reason to act like Laura Ingalls. Not that Laura had access to a sterno, but it was the "without power" concept.)
I learned that my "bug out bag" was not ready, and neither was my son's.
I learned I was out of ammunition for my 9mm. (Note to self - buy more ammo)
I learned, as did others who shall remain nameless, that we need a generator in the not so distant future. Two trees fell into the transformer behind our house, and sent showers of sparks popping and sizzling through the air to land in the back yard.
I learned that I need flashlights or another battery operated lantern. I would prefer the hand pump or crank flashlights that don't use batteries. Kids carrying candles will make your heart stop.
I learned that I need a car charger for my laptop, or to keep my laptop charged so that we could watch a DVD to while away the time.
I learned that when you stare at someone by candlelight for a while you can tell they need a haircut.
I learned that I need to up my food preps. I don't have as much food as I thought I did, at least ready to eat. Flour to make bread or biscuits, sugar too, but way too much cream of chicken soup, and not enough soup to really eat.
So, ultimately I learned that I need to be prepared, and not procrastinate in being prepared. I mean what is a hand crank radio, and a first aid kit when you are going to die of starvation. (Okay, I exaggerate, but man I was out of cookies!)
2 comments:
I have a lot to learn from you.......I know even less!! I would gladly have settled for peanut butter crackers for breakfast.....I guess I am simple! That is what you get for treating them so well all these years, lol!! They don't realize how good they have it.
Love in Christ,
~Candi (Homekeeper at Heart)
Makes you thankful for the power outage just so you know what you need in a real disaster
Post a Comment