Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Roof woes!

The insurance adjuster came out and we have good news/bad news. He doesn't believe he can give us anything to fix the leak in the roof, as he couldn't locate any wind damage, only rotted roof, so it looks like we will have to fix it on our own. He did agree to give us $400 towards tree removal, and is replacing the entire front slope of the roof, and the porch roof. So, that is something. It looks as if we will be spending the winter tacking tar paper to the back side of the roof, until we get our income tax refund in the spring to fix the roof.

Two chicks were killed last night. Lauren neglected to close up the coop AFTER I specifically asked her to. One of the ones killed was her favorite one, the first one hatched. I am highly upset at her disobedience, not to mention the death of two of my chicks.

Taylor has left to take his cousin to college, and help her move her things into her dorm. His grandparents are driving them up and will be bringing Taylor back tomorrow night.

Watering the garden right now, need to go shut the water off and lock up the coop.

ETA: I guess after last night's massacre of the baby chicks NONE of the chickens wanted to go in the coop tonight. We had to hunt down the two hens (in the rafters of the garage) and the mama hen and babies. They were bedding down in different spots. I think I will leave them cooped up for a couple of days to remind them where they live.

Tropical Storm Erin is entering the gulf, and while we live 2 hours from there, we are getting prepared for rain, and wind that is forecasted for the next 3 days. I hope it holds off until the morning. I need to get the hay put up better, and clear some clutter out of the yard. Hey! maybe we will get some "light" wind damage to the back part of the roof, and the insurance can replace the entire thing~!

2 comments:

shawnee said...

Batten down the hatches and keep in touch; your friends at Front Porch worry!!

Valerie Roberson said...

Bummer about your roof and chicks :( When my goose was killed by a dog I cried...My husband didn't understand my sentimentality ;)

Stay safe during this storm! TTYS!