Thursday, December 13, 2007

Political Aspirations


Have you seen this man? If so, please whomp him in the head for me. He is letting his "inventing" the internet, and his newly won Nobel Peace Prize go to his head. I am all for Freedom of Speech, but I am dissappointed in the fact that he would criticize his own country in a UN forum. Like that helps! Maybe he should become a citizen of the EU? That would have my vote!


Many who know me know about my love for politics. I don't claim to be an expert, I just know what I believe. As a Christian, sometimes it is hard to reconcile my Christian beliefs with my American patriotism. Believe it or not, they can be at odds at times. I have had three unsuccessful bids for local city council, and while it was dissappointing it probably has been for the best, less stress for me.

Today I was reading an article online regarding the possible boycott of the European Union (EU) and the UN of an upcoming economies meeting. Apparently, the U.S. is resisting agreeing to a couple of issues regarding reducing emissions from between 25-40%. Frankly, I think we need to reduce emissions, but am no way impressed by the UN and EU threats. As an American, I would urge my political leaders to stand strong and not cave into their urgings. I do not want anyone other than American leaders trying to tell me what to do. I would no way feel obligated to abide by any law that UN tries to impose. They are next to nothing to me. If I knew of a way to get my views out I would, therefore, I chose my small forum here as a way to express myself.
While I don't agree with widespread pollution of the Earth, especially our corner of it, I am not an environmentalist in any way. I believe people have more rights than the animals and plants of the world. While we are called to be good stewards of the Earth, I don't believe that entails forsaking human needs over the need of an endangered species. I won't go out of my way to stomp on an endangered salamander, but if people need drinking water, that is more important than the salamander. I know I have posted about this before, but I feel really strongly about it.

In addition, I believe all people, especially Americans, need to get away from their dependence on foreign oil and oil period. We need to get back to working and living close together, being able to walk or ride a bike to work. Primarily, because I don't like giving my money to a Middle Eastern country/company. I want to keep my money here in America where it helps America. We are only hurting ourselves.

For instance, I gave up a high paying position (well, for me it was high paying) with the government for a variety of reasons. These being, to name a few:

1. to raise my kids myself and homeschool
2. to downsize my lifestyle by giving up a high level of consumerism
3. save gas
4. save money
5. instill a sense of community and small "town" spirit within myself and family

I think if more people stopped chasing the dollar and stopped to realize what is more important, the United States would be a better place to live. Shop smart, get what you need (a chevy over a Hummer), live close to work and walk. By reducing our need for imports it will make us stronger. We need to show the world that we don't need what they have to offer, and that we are an independent nation that cannot be coerced or threatened.

I am very much for being an isolationist country. I am tired of helping the world, out of compassion, only to be kicked and criticised for being mercenary. I didn't see many others stepping up to risk much. The only ally of any size we seem to have is Great Britan, and I am sure with them being a part of the EU, that will soon fall by the way side.

I know a few visitors who may stop by by here may not agree, and that is fine.

I would love to run one day for state representative, but with the way things are going, keeping out of the government's radar may be a good thing. It's hard to have torn desires....what do I want, what should I do, what does God want me to do?

2 comments:

Wendy said...

God wants you to treat EVERY human being - American or otherwise - as your next of kin. Nationlism and isolationism will get us nowhere. We must come together as a planet! We are all connected.

You say you're a Christian - isn't what I'm saying what Jesus taught? Why have so many Christians forgotten that??

Quote for you: "I quite like your Christ. I don't care much for your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." - Gandhi

Amy E said...

Thanks Wendy for you comment, and welcome. No, I don't say I am a Christian, I KNOW I am a Christian. I humbly admit to human failings. Frankly, while I believe we are to go out into the world to spread the Gospel, I don't believe that any ONE country is capable of being the babysitter and police for the world. The U.S. has it's own problems, and we need to have a narrower focus, and spread out a little at at time to care for things, not throw everything at the world. This makes us ineffective.

As a Christian, I mourn for those spiritually lost. As a mere human, and an American, I am staunchly independent and don't believe we are doing our country a service by ignoring the plights of our own people, in exchange for those in other countries.

I seriously hope you aren't advocating a more indepth involvement in the UN, that is not what God wants for us.

By the way, I quite like your quote, it reminds me to always strive for the unattainable, and that even Gandhi could be wrong, after all he was only a man.