Thursday, December 18, 2008

Comment to a Boston TV Station

Basically, I had nothing to do yet this morning. I was up when Rodney left for work, and the girls are still sleeping. So, I was reading the news online, and stumbled across a story on a Boston TV Station about the residents of their area being "sick and tired of being in the cold and dark". (I am rolling my eyes here). So, being my opinionated self, I sent a comment to their News Editor and thought I'd post it here.

**********************************

I don't live on the East Coast anymore. My family moved to South Texas after the 1979 Blizzard in MD. I was just wondering, is there any kind of plan for the state to encourage people to be prepared in ANY way for this kind of severe weather. I am mainly interested in why alternate heating is not pushed in these areas. Why don't people have wood stoves to provide an alternate source of heat? While I feel some compassion, I fail to see why these people won't help themselves. It's not like winter doesn't come every year. It's not a surprise sneak attack. People have a good 1/2 year or more to prepare in the way of stocking up on food, alternate cooking sources and heating sources primarily. There really is no excuse good enough for people to be going to shelters or putting their children in danger. I think that people need to take the initiative to get better prepared for winter when living in snow states, and that the state should encourage people to wake up and get a clue.

Just because I live in Texas now, does not mean I am not aware of living in that type of weather. I am. And even living in Texas we have our share of disasters from hurricanes, tornadoes, and ice storms, all leaving behind lack of power. This is why we prepare. We have a wood stove, and a kerosene/diesel heater, plus a generator, and enough fire wood for 2 years. We have food for 6 months, and four alternate ways to cook. We have adequate clothing, blankets, medicine and more. Please encourage your area residents to take advantage of the many books on self reliance and the websites that provide information on how to rely on yourself and to provide for your family, and to not depend on the government to take care of you. Realistically there is no way that the local governments can provide for 180,000 people without power. Everyone needs to step up and take care of themselves first.

I confess I am struggling with feeling much compassion for these people, other than the elderly who have a difficult time moving around, and the poor children at the mercy of their parents poor decisions. I am working on it, but it's hard, when I see news stories that compound the stupidity. For instance, there is a video on your site about residents being tired of being in the sick and the cold. Evidently, they aren't too sick and tired of it, because the SAME thing happens every year and they do nothing about fixing it for the following year.

Once again, please encourage your residents to take this opportunity as a learning experience, and to get with the program and prepare for NEXT winter, or take the next lull in storms to get prepared for THIS winter.

No comments: