Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Day To Reflect

Well, I've had a day to reflect on my post from yesterday. I still think people can be downright moronic when it comes to self preservation. I feel compassion, primarily for the elderly who can't move around very well, and the children at the mercy of their brain dead parents.

You don't have to be rich to prepare for a severe winter. There are thrift stores, yard sales, craigslist, word of mouth, and from personal experience, if you are on food stamps you are quite capable of stocking up on food. For six months one time I received almost $500 a month. That is way more than I spend, so I made sure that I bought cases of vegetables, ground turkey, hamburger, flour and other staples. Just because many view food stamps as "free food money" doesn't give those on food stamps the right to purchase the high dollar food. I think I'd be all for the government restricting food stamps to cover staples like all baking supplies, fruits and vegetables, and certain cuts of meat. I also think they need to include a certain amount for paper products like t.p. (not diapers or women's products, as you can use cloth diapers and make your own women's products).

We bought our wood stove at a junk store for under $100.00 about 10 years ago. Since then we have upgraded our wood stove, and now have the older one installed in the cabin at the land.

Look for warm clothing ALL year, not just at the first cold spell. I was guilty of not preparing a winter coat for Lauren this year. We have about 10 children's coats in assorted sizes around the house, and I hadn't realized that Lauren had grown so much that her last year coat was too small. But in a pinch, she could have worn one of mine. I have lots of gloves, hats and scarves. We don't live in a severe winter area, but if we did, I'd be investing in heavier coats, and boots. When I was little and used to walk to school in the snow (yes, up hill both ways ;-) )I had these great white winter boots that were lined with fleece and rabbit fur. I just loved those boots. I used to want a rabbit coat REALLY bad, and had a friend in high school give me her white one when she didn't want it. Well, I realized I must be allergic to rabbit fur, because I itched like crazy on my face, and my nose and eyes were swollen. I never seemed to have a problem with my feet, and we have rabbits now, and they don't seem to bother me, but man it was a low point when I realized I couldn't wear the rabbit coat. I'd love a mink coat, a really glossy black one, but in South TEXAS not much reason to wear one. (Okay, I am digressing, and getting distracted). My point was know where you live, and keep your eyes open for clothing, alternate ways to cook and heat your home, plus keep a good supply of food on hand. Come on people, grow up a little, be responsible for yourselves, and your kids if you have them.

**More later, I have a blurb on "Man vs. Woman" that I have been thinking about....;-)

No comments: