Monday, December 8, 2008

Farm Things

Yesterday, I drove the small garden tractor and little trailer to help Rodney string one strand of barbed wire for the front fence. We may be getting an elderly donkey to house for awhile, and we have been checking fences to make sure everything is wired up and secure. Rodney needs to install one gate at the back of the property, to make sure the donkey can't get into the area where the dogs and chickens are located, and then we should be good to go. I hope the puppies decided and learn to stay away from the donkey. I am worried they will get killed, but I'm not going to keep them caged up, they'll have to learn to fend for themselves.

We picked up a New Zealand Black breeder doe this afternoon. She is to replace LuLu who was murdered by a couple of stray dogs a while back. This doe was bred this morning, so with luck we will have baby rabbits in a month. Hannah will be getting a baby rabbit next week that she can make a pet, but the new black rabbit named "Jessica Rabbit" is to make babies for future meat or to sell. Haven't decided yet.

The other evening when the guys arrived home with their "doe", they hung it in the garage to skin and butcher it. The girls were greatly interested, and stayed to watch. After a few moments, Hannah told me "I need to go inside, my stomach is getting really sick." Lauren was the more morbid one and stayed.

They also cut the feet/talons a dead bird that we found on the side of the road. I think it must have been hit by a car, but we couldn't see any damage to the body on the outside. Lauren was able to take a close up picture of it, so now I can post it online to get an accurate name for it. I've seen lots of red tailed hawks, but this is a new type of hawk that I haven't noticed before, and that Rodney is calling a "Mexican hawk", but that name doesn't pop up in the search engines for me. Here are the pictures that Lauren took of the dead falcon.



http://www.peregrinefund.org/Explore_Raptors/falcons/crstcara.html

Okay, after much searching, I THINK this may be the bird we found...not a hawk after all but in the falcon family.

******
Rodney asked that I put a little note on here that he has fixed the hot water in the kitchen, so that after all my whining of having to carry hot water from the bath tub to the kitchen to wash dishes, it is NOW done. Praise God! ;-)

Okay Rodney, here is a list of the other things you can work on if you are feeling "frisky".

Oven (electrical connection)
Floor board in bed room (I am going to fall through soon)
Clean the carpets for me ;-)
Take out the trash (it's by the back door)

This is just the house stuff. I have list of things at the land if you want those too. LOL!

Umm....move the container ?? (I know you are working on it)
Finish the bridge
Finish the fence
Finish the coop
Install toilet in container
Cut down the weeds in the garden, disc it, and add manure ;-)

I can keep going, I have lots of things I need/want done, but that I lack the energy for...I hope I get my energy back after the baby is born, because I am tired of being tired.

By the way, in case I didn't say it already. Thanks Rodney for fixing the hot water.

No comments: