Happy Thanksgiving! Today was a good day. I was up early to put the turkey in the roaster. We ate dinner around NOON. Afterwards we headed over to the kids grandparents. The kids ran around on the farm picking up acorns, pecans and hickory nuts. It was pretty nice out there, though a tad cold. I need to look for everyone's gloves, hats, etc.
ETA: I forgot to add earlier that we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving parade this year. I watched every year when I was a child, but this was the first year my kids had ever seen it, at first they weren't too excited, but really enjoyed seeing all the floats like Shrek, and seeing some of their favorite Disney characters/actors on the floats. We also sent out emails to Santa for the girls "wish list".
My menu for this year was: roast turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, rolls, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, chocolate cream pie, and apple pie. Everything that I cooked yesterday and today, I used my Watkins products from the vanilla to the Apple Bake Seasoning. In the stuffing I used Watkins Chicken Broth seasoning. Trying to use the products to be able to honestly answer to people about the taste, etc.
Here's the recipe for my Cornbread Dressing
1 cup chopped celery or 1 tsp celery salt
1/2 cup chopped onion (I used dried onion)
1/4 cup butter (melted)
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
salt/pepper
4 cups dry bread, cubed
4 cups cornbread, cubed
1 egg, beaten
2 cups water
2 packages of Watkins Chicken Soup/Gravy Base
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large, round cast iron skillet (or pan of your choice, at least 9 X 12).
Saute celetry and onion in butter. Stir in seasonings. Mix bread and cornbread, and add sauteed veggies and egg (use hands to mix). While mixing, add enough broth to reach desired moistness. Mix well. Spread in pan and Bake for 40-60 minutes (times varies depending on oven) It came out awesome! Better than usual, even my husband commented that it was good. The only difference was the Watkins Chicken Base, so I assume that was it. Ya'll should order some and try it.... LOL!
Sitting by the wood stove now as the temperature is 40, and the wind is blowing strong. I can feel the drafts blowing up between the floor boards as I walk across them, barefoot! I need to find my slippers or put some socks on. The kids have crashed on the floor around the wood stove, and the cats are curled up in the chair next to the stove.
It's only 9:30, but everyone but me is asleep, and it is very peaceful and relaxing. Had to stop and throw another log on the fire, as I felt a draft blow across my feet. (One of the drawbacks of living in a 110 year old house, but it's worth it.)
Did some Christmas shopping online last night and today, ordering a few presents for my girls. They are always with me, so it's hard to shop for them.
I am off to make some more hot tea, just wanted to say hello and hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment