Sunday, November 11, 2007

Today's Sermon

I don't know if I have mentioned (I have a bad memory) that I attend a really small congregation. At the maximum we will have 40 in attendance on a good Sunday (meaning no one is sick, off doing mission work, out of town, on military manuevers, etc.) With Candi and Brian's recent joining, that has increased our membership by 5 (soon to be 6). Yeah!

If you want to read our Statement of faith go to www.geocities.com/fellowshipofbelievers

We are very close, especially since we are so small. We all attend each other's birthdays, Superbowl parties, etc. The other members have helped each other build storage sheds, they came out and tilled my garden one year, and walked my small town with me handing out flyers when I was running for city council. That's the kind of church we are...we try to be there for each other by watching each other's kids, sharing our food surpluses (the guys in the congregation got five hogs recently) and more.

We don't have our own building, and meet in one of the community centers in town. We only meet there on Sunday mornings. any other time we mostly meet at the Pastor's home, but have been known to meet at each other's homes for a variety of reasons (except mine, I live out of town).

Today's sermon started out in 1 Chronicles 29:1-5. In these scriptures King David is talking about the building of the temple (the church) and how everyone's contribution is needed. We also discussed worship, and how important it was to God. God is so worthy of our praise! Other verses to ponder: Psalm 9:1, Psalm 111:1, Psalm 138:1, Psalm 119:1-9, Psalm 63:1-5, Psalm 98:4, Jeremiah 33:10 and II Chronicales 29:27-30.

A couple of points to focus on are 1) wholeheartedly worship, 2) have an upright heart (Psalm 119) 3) worship is meant to be joyful, if you don't find it so, your "worshipper" is broken 4) what you are and what you do during the week prepares you for worship on the sabbath. You cannot worship on Sunday, if you aren't worshipping in some way during the week. It won't be true worship 5)What does God desire from each of us?

Prayer requests:

Voice of the Martyrs Christmas offering
Mrs. Workman's sister Brenda having surgery for thyroid cancer on Monday, please be in prayer.

*I will be speaking on responsible, biblical stewardship, and how to be debt free this week at a San Antonio church. Send me an email if you are interested in attending.

1 comment:

Bob Westbrook said...

That's the way it's supposed to be. When I was in the ministry we started a church that met in a room at the YMCA. It was good.