Saturday, March 22, 2008

Family

Family, what does it mean to you? Well, I'd like to think I was raised to actually be a family. I admit it is hard when you are an adult to still tolerate people in your life who are so different from you, but they are family.

When you are young and living with siblings and parents in one house, you learn how to get a long with each other pretty well, but once you are grown, you learn to value your independence, and the fact you can now just be "you".

I remember reading about families that live together (kids, parents, grandparents and such). This was the norm, no one moved away. Even the Amish do this on a regular basis. When a child gets married (normally the son), the parents may moved to a "Graus Daddy" house in the back. Normally, a smaller home behind the main house to allow the son and his new wife a home of their own, or they would just share if the other house was occupied by grandparents.

The English had a dower house, if wealthy enough, or they all just packed in together, all working together to care for the home, kids and provide food. I think that is great!

While I applaud technology, and the advances that we have made, it is also disheartening to see the affect this has had on the family in general. While I would consider my family once to be close, relationship wise, in the past 20 years that has changed. We are also scattered around the country. My maternal grandmother lives in VA, she always has....we lived in MD, so it was easy to go visit. My paternal grandmother lived in MD, we were really close in distance to her, now she lives in WV, her birthplace. My mom lives in FL, after moving from TX to VA, and then to FL. My parents moved me and my sisters to TX in the early 80s, and we have been here since, with the exception of my military brother. He was born here in TX, and has been to NY, Afghanistan, Iraq, and now AL, while being in the Army. My youngest sister still lives in VA, where my mom moved to several years ago. We are trying to talk her into moving back to TX, and then we will just have my mom and her husband to get here. ;-) All in the master plan! Shhh! And it's not that I don't love my grandparents, it's just I don't see them moving away from their children at this stage in their lives. And while I miss my grandparents, aunts and uncles, and sometimes the east coast, I would NEVER live their again..way too many people. I am not a big people person.

Now, with my sisters, we are in the same general area, but not in the same town. I am 30 minutes from April, who is about 30 minutes from Ann. I am about an hour away from Ann, depending on traffic. We are close enough to help out in an emergency, but not close enough to part of everyone's everyday life. I go to church with April, so usually see her once a week. Ann used to go to church with us, but she chose to stay closer to home, rather than drive into town. It'd be nice if we all went to church together, but I don't see that happening with Ann.

My point in talking about all this is because of the article I read this morning on older children (in their 50s) moving back in with their parents during this worsening economy. Evidently, a financial planner didn't think it was a good idea, as we, as a culture, have never learned to tell our children NO, and that the potential for diminishing your wealth exists when this happens. I am not advocating in anyway that parents fork over money to their kids, quite the contrary. But allowing someone to live with you because they can't afford a place of their own due to the economy, is what family should be all about. In lieu of accepting money, help with household duties (cleaning, mowing) should be accepted. Family needs to take care of family period. Set clear guidelines and rules for everyone to learn to co-exist peacefully, again, but don't enable people to just be couch potatoes.

Our neighbor just had one of his daughters, her husband and three children move in with him. I don't know the details, we just saw them show up, with furniture, and began to unload. They are there every evening now, and their car is parked over there all night (no we aren't that nosy, they just right across the street, and it's fairly obvious.)

I am trying to scale down myself and get prepared for a tightening economy, and would like to be able to offer assistance to my family when and if they need it, in the form of a place to stay, and food to eat, and on their part, if no job to contribute, then I will accept their help on the farm growing the food we eat. To me that's a fair exchange of labor. Now DH doesn't like this plan, but he wouldn't turn away his family during a time of need, and I won't do the same, no matter how hard I tried to get them to wake up and prepare for the eventuality.

So, here is the link that upset me a tad this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080321/ap_on_bi_ge/living_with_parents

No comments: