Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Thunder Rolls......

It's raining this morning! Praise God, we needed some.. I hope it rains stead all day. We have had so many grass fires around here, and across the state that rain is welcome.

The thunder was loud this morning and scared Hannah who always wonders if we are getting a tornado. She has seen and heard too many in her short life. We have had so many around here, that we are building a tornado shelter at the new home site.

Well, I am glad that election day is over until November. It was a very stressful time for me. I didn't get to make it to the caucus, which I really wanted to attend. I got sidetracked making dinner and before I knew it it was 7:30 p.m.

I see from my blog that I made laundry soap last Wednesday. I had to make more yesterday morning before I could wash anything. I am down to manageable loads, only current laundry and a couple of blankets. I have been able to sort through clothing and get rid of what doesn't fit, and what was too worn. I have packed up most of the blankets and comforters and put in storage, which doesn't go over well today. It is in the 30's, chilly and rainy, and everyone wants their own blanket. I told them to get dressed and they would be just fine.

On the agenda today is to pack and paint.

I better get busy.....

Have a good day everyone!

ETA: yesterday we drove to the county seat to pick up water and soil testing kits from the extension office. We drove straight to the land to take a water sample of the well. I rushed to the post office to mail the water sample, as it had to reach the laboratory within 30 hours of being removed from the well. I should get the results by Monday. We still need to do the soil test, that is more intensive and requires 10-20 core samples from different parts of the land.

I also joined for $10.00, the National Arbor Day Foundation. I did this because I received 10 FREE trees. I chose the Live Oak trees. I am on the look out for nice shade trees, that will one day be firewood. We don't have much of a wood lot now, a few scrub mesquite bushes, a couple of dead mesquite trees, and a line of mature, healthy looking mesquite trees. The 21 black walnut trees are on their way, as well as, these 10 live oak. I have two peach, two nectarine and two apple trees to plant also. I will be placing an order in the fall for 1,000 Afghan pine seedlings to plant. These will be future Christmas trees.

I was able to finish up the last piece of my dad's estate, and am just waiting for the disbursement from his 401K. It took his employer since September to file the paperwork, and that was only after getting touch with them. I can't say as I am surprised. My dad worked for them for 18 years, and they didn't treat him very nice, in my opinion.

Hey! Marie, if you are reading this, please call me or send me an email. I don't go to the homestead forum much anymore, not enough time, as you can tell from my activity.

No comments: