Thursday, March 6, 2008

Jericho

Bonnie from Jericho


Okay, I have been hooked on this show since last year. It is extremely good! It is also controversial, and while I know that it is only t.v., I believe it displays a good view of what could happen. This isn't science fiction. In today's world of terrorism, at home and abroad, it is a good glimpse of possible life during situations that could alter the world as we know it. If you haven't seen it I suggest you go to http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho

Watch it from the beginning of the series, they have them on the CBS website for viewing. Watch out, you will probably get hooked if you view with an open mind. I have had one person tell me it is depressing! Depressing!? I was totally shocked at this viewpoint. I understand not liking survivalist type movies like Red Dawn, etc., but depressing! I find this show extremely thought provoking and EXCITING! It is definitely not like the rest of the junk on tv. I used to only watch one show on tv and that was the Stargate series on the Sci-Fi channel, now I have added Jericho to my short list. It comes on here in TEXAS at 9 p.m., Tuesdays on CBS.

Many of us live in different parts of the country. My mother lives in FL and is of course hurricane prone. Here in South TEXAS we get flooding, severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, power outages, toxic waste spills via the railroad (this is frequent). (One of my reasons for moving away from a railroad when we bought our new site. Now I can see the train from my front porch.)

So, to encourage everyone to prepare for the disasters that typically hit your area I am supplying the link to the FEMA web page (I don't normally support FEMA, but for "newbies" it is a good place to start. Most people feel comfortable with the "government's" ideas instead of someone often viewed as crazy LOL!) I figure if the government is asking all citizens to be prepared for three days, I can't be all that crazy. I just take it further and am prepared for longer, because I absolutely don't want to be in a FEMA shelter (you don't either).

http://www.fema.gov/plan/index.shtm

Having a case of water in your pantry isn't enough. Thing the top three: 1) Food 2) Water and 3) Shelter. What would you do if you had to leave your home at the last minute? Do you have all your important papers in one place that you could just grab? Where would you stay? Do you have enough cash on hand to get out of the area, for food, lodging, etc.? Keep in mind many others may be evacuating with you, and as evidenced during Hurricane Katrina and Rita in TEXAS you can be trapped on the highway for over 8 hours with no bathroom, no food, no fuel. Keep an eye on the weather and leave BEFORE it hits please, or be prepared to buckle down where you are to wait it out, if possible.

Severe storm season is just beginning here in South TEXAS, and I believe hurricane season starts in June. Now is the time to get prepared before all those "last minute" shoppers. You want to be safe and secure in your home, instead of running around with all the other crazies clearing the shelves off at Wal-Mart.

I have been preparing since Hurricane Katrina, so may have a lead time on many of you, so feel free to send me an email and ask me a question. My email address is queensedgefarm@yahoo.com

No comments: