Sunday, March 16, 2008

Out of the Storm?

After several doses of Elderberry, Echinacea and Goldenseal tinctures, plenty of juice, vitamins and chicken noodle soup (which Hannah claims gets rid of "seases" right?) What!? you don't know that "seases" means diseases LOL! - the girls are better. I felt a little blech last night, but feel much better tonight. I think taking the Rezist may have helped me avoid getting as sick as Hannah. She was the sickest, which is probably because her first dose of Elderberry was hit or miss, since it was fight to get her to take it and she spilled some of it.

I went to the grocery store and spent $260.00 on dried goods (flour, cornmeal, grits, oatmeal, salt, etc.) Tomorrow, I will go and spend around the same and stock up on meats for the freezer.

I also went to the Academy, and with the exception of the ammunition for the 30-30, finished purchasing the number of rounds I feel is a safe bet to have. Ammunition has gone up so high! A 20 cartridge package of 30-30 ammunition is $10.99! I bought five boxes, to give me 100 rounds. I need 900 rounds more to finish out my inventory. The 9mm and .22LR was available at a good price, so I was able to get what I had planned. The 30-30 will have to wait, and I will have to only buy a few boxes at a time. I don't want to spend $1,000 at one time on ammunition. I cringe at the thought.

We stopped by Lowe's to pick up some paint rollers for Rodney to finish the bedroom. He also replaced the light switches and outlets in the foyer, and will work on the living room tomorrow.

After Lowe's I stopped at the Dollar Tree to get a few items on my list that could be picked up there for cheap (dish cloths, masking tape, toothbrushes).

Came home and cleaned out the refrigerator, washed out the drawers, threw a trash bag full of yucky stuff away (I hate cleaning the fridge). I have a wash tub of old veggies that I will take out to the chickens. I then spent about two hours, organizing the pantry with all the new items I bought. I have several bags of beans, rice, egg noodles and a variety of pastas to find containers for...for now, I just double bagged and tossed in a handful of bay leaves to keep the ants and other crawlies out.

These are then stacked in my empty kitchen cabinets, because I have packed almost all of my dishes. So, now every cabinet in the kitchen has food in it, with a shelf in the bedroom, and a 5 gallon bucket of wheat berries in the kitchen floor. I feel a little better, but would still prefer to have a year's worth of food on hand. I "think" I have about 6 months now, but I could be wrong.

We missed church this morning because the girls were sick, but they stayed home with their dad while I ran around getting things done. Tomorrow we will hit Sun Harvest for a few more herbal tinctures for my medicine chest. Lauren's friend, Cheyenne, will also be coming over to spend the night tomorrow, as it is Spring Break for the public school system.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: