The girls and I went out to feed the animals tonight, and one of our dogs had gotten into the barn, and totally destroyed the front of one of the rabbit cages, the one with the babies in it....she killed one of the baby bunnies (4 weeks old). This dog is going to have to go, she is too destructive. She kills chickens, rabbits and anything else smaller than her. We need to find her a new home, or she is going to end up shot. I can't have her eating what is supposed to be my food source. She never learns. We have her chained, and the rabbits secured, but she has been managing to twist out of the chain, and finds some way to get to the rabbit. Normally, it's the black rabbit, and not the other two white ones. We need a sturdier chain, a barn door, and/or a sturdier rabbit cage, or the dog is going to be dead as a door nail soon.
She didn't even eat the baby bunny, just killed it (I think she shook it to death, because there isn't any blood on it), and then just played with it...I could see not being TOO mad if she had actually eaten some of it, but she just wanted to play with it....that I can't stand. I was so mad at her, and she knew it....she went and crawled into her dog house.
We managed to get everyone fed and watered, even Jack, the donkey. He has started waiting very impatiently by the barn for a scoop of horse feed. We have only been giving it to him for about a week, but he sure learned fast. I have enough feed for all the animals for a couple of weeks, so Rodney and the girls will just have to go out each evening to feed and water the animals. I really would like bigger water containers or automatic waterers, so we don't have to go out every night, but that will have to wait until water lines are run to the barn....
No eggs tonight...either not enough light lately or too cold. Oh, and the cuckoo marans hens have bloody vents. I can't find out in my poultry book if this is normal. It's only the cuckoo marans and not the other hens. If anyone knows if this is normal, or not, please let me know.
Today, was a good day, and productive. I picked up the house, cleaned the kitchen, made a fresh batch of laundry soap, so that Rodney and the girls can wash something, if needed, while I am in the hospital. Everything is ready to go...I have my suitcase in the car, and I installed the car seat base and car seat in the car (what a pain in the butt!) It took a long time to get it in there....
Lauren cleaned her room, finished the Wizard of Oz, and started Anne of Green Gables. She is reading more on her own now, and not only as part of her school work. Today was our day off from school work, but I didn't have any errands to run, so we were home for most of the day. With the cleaning, watching tv and resting, it was very relaxing.
We should be ready for the baby to come now. Everything is done. Finally!
I also made it to the grocery store to get a few items for the girls for breakfast (milk, cereal, oatmeal, bread, fruit) and sandwich stuff so they can eat and sort of fend for themselves while I am in the hospital. Lauren can cook grilled cheese and soup, plus make cookies and stuff, so they will be okay until I get home. Their dad will probably take them out to eat some, but there are also things here that Lauren can cook or heat up.
No comments:
Post a Comment