Sunday, January 4, 2009

Happy New Year!

The New Year's Eve get together was wonderful, even Rodney enjoyed it. My mom arrived early, about 2 p.m., and we headed out to the land to get everything set up and ready. Rodney came out later with picnic tables, and got the bonfire going. We had people coming and going throughout the evening. I had lit a fire in the wood stove in the cabin, and the women hung around in there for a while before we headed out to the bonfire. I tried to rest as much as possible.

After everyone left, around 1 a.m., we (me, Rodney and kids) stayed the night at the cabin. We were up about 9 a.m. I made pancakes and cocoa for breakfast, and Rodney started working on cleaning up trash, fixing the coop, and a variety of other things. Primarily I rested in the cabin on the bed reading, and we didn't end up leaving until dark.

I had a friend visit from Kentucky. I hadn't seen her in two years, so it was wonderful to see her and to show her around the land, which she had never seen, since we have only had it for one year. I had different plans and goals when I first met her a couple of years ago. I am now in the process of shifting those goals over to the new land, but it is taking awhile to adjust them, and work out any kinks, especially being 9 months pregnant. I have a distinct lack of motivation to plant a winter garden, or get involved in any project in depth. My main goal being to get the container moved closer to the septic tank, so that Rodney can install the toilet and shower.

The weather here was hot yesterday, about 84. I thought the weather would be the same today, but it is over cast, drizzly and chilly. Taylor went to church with us, and we ate at the Acadiana Cafe afterwards, then headed home. I changed clothes, then we went out to the land to feed the animals, before the weather became darker and colder.

Hannah, and maybe Lauren, will be spending the night at Bonita's tonight. I have a dr. appt in the morning. Taylor asked to go with me, so we'll see.

I'd like to get the dishes done today, as that is my main worry right now.

Oh! our new breeding doe, Jessica Rabbit, had babies on January 1st. We have 10 little black baby bunnies squirming in her cage at the land. Rodney was able to get the barn cleaned out, and the cage rack set up in the barn, with the cages lined up. This is a better set up, as the rabbit poop can now fall down out of the cages onto the ground below, and then we can just rake it up, and put it in the garden or the compost pile. They are also better sheltered from drafts, heat and moisture.

One Cuckoo Maran hen has started laying, as well as, either a Buff Orpington or a Rhode Island Red, as I am getting a light brown egg also.

Bonita gave me four dozen eggs that I took to church this morning, the ladies at church were very excited. They seem to like it when I bring "country" stuff in. I brought a variety of vegetables to church, and watermelons this past summer, that everyone seemed to enjoy.

Today's sermon in church was very thought provoking and came from Genesis 3:8-9. The pastor talked about how God was walking through the Garden and asked Adam and Eve "Where are you?" The pastor challenged us to think where we are in our relationship with God, and how we can improve it. I confess that I have stalled recently. I get easily frustrated because I feel God leading me in a certain direction, but I don't know how to accomplish certain things, or I feel hampered often by family obligations and the lack of motivation of other Christians around me. I am not trying to pass the blame on to others, just acknowledging that I don't know how to juggle all these things to accomplish certain goals. Confessing this in church this morning, the pastor reminded me that my greatest responsibility as a woman, wife and mother was in caring for my family, which I know, so not to get discouraged because I didn't feel like I was contributing to anything "greater".

Our pastor also asked if we could have our Easter Service at the land this year, which of course we can do. After wards we would have our Easter church dinner, an egg hunt, and more. I was very excited over this, as not many people like visiting me, because they feel I live too far out. I don't agree, but realize many people look for the easy way, and convenience before anything else. It's amazing how lazy some people are, oh not, just some in our congregation, but in general.

The pastor and his wife, Cheryl, gave us a Moses Basket for the baby. I have been wanting one, but the cost has stopped me. Even the plain one was about $50.00, and one with a mattress and/or cover was about $129.99. She found this one at Ross for $20.99 on clearance! That is a great price. It is a 4 piece set that includes the basket, a mattress, mattress cover, and bumper pad. The color is what I would call a taupe color, darker than tan, lighter than a chocolate cover. Very pretty. I will take a picture and post as soon as I can. I really like the Moses baskets, as they are very portable and easy to use. The plan is to keep this one in the living room for the baby to sleep in during the day, I may take it back and forth to church also though, but we'll see what happens.

Taylor stayed until this evening. I dropped him off at his grandparents around 6 p.m., and then I had to practically force him to go, as he doesn't like staying over there, at least that is the story today. His cousin is home from college, and evidently starting to get on his nerves. He is "supposed" to be getting his driving permit, and with luck his driver's license....soon, we hope and pray. He went with me to drop the girls off at Bonita's, where they are spending the night. I'll pick them up after my doctor's appointment tomorrow morning.

It's getting chilly in the house, and I am waiting for Rodney to arrive home from his marathon movie session.

While I was sitting here, I thought I'd write down a couple of goals I want to accomplish this year. I am not really into making resolutions each year, as I don't like to set myself up for failure, but goals I can work with...

1) Have this baby ;-)
2) Get cabin moved and toilet installed
3) purchase three more containers
4) Commit to daily bible reading/study
5) Take a hunting safety course
6) Sell/Rent the house and MOVE to the land

No comments: