First of all, it is really hard to imagine this happening in South Texas, though we did get an ice storm that lasted a couple of days for the past two years. But nothing of this magnitude.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090131/ap_on_re_us/winter_storm
I am confident that my immediate family would be fine without the power, but it would probably entail my sister's and their families coming to stay with me. Well, one of them anyway. The other sister lives next to her in laws and they have a wood stove.
It seems as if this winter more areas are being hit from the west coast, the Dakotas, the Appalachias and the east coast. It's a sad state of affairs to see how many people are not prepared to take care of themselves, and are actually waiting and expecting FEMA to come help them.
I am getting worried about the lack of preparation that I am reading about, it seems to be wide scale. In my area, I only know of myself and three other people with enough food. And only one person with an alternate way to heat their house. We have two wood stoves (one here, one at the cabin). One has a fire place, and everyone else, including my Depression era in laws do not have another way to heat their house. They are totally dependent upon electricity, to the point that my mother in law has THREE freezers full of food. She prefers to freeze her food stores, rather than dehydrate or can. This is a big and costly mistake. If the power went out here, she'd lose her food. Maybe not for a while, but the weather here never stays cold for very long, so everything would be okay while it was cold, but once it warms up, that's it.
In an article I read online this morning, one of the state troopers in Kentucky said that too many people were trying to ride out the storm at home. Well, duh?! that's what you are supposed to do. I conducted a poll recently here on the blog, and for those that answered (all 11), 10 out of the 11 stated they were prepared and wouldn't have to leave home. It would be nice if this poll was truly indicative of the country, but I fear that those that took the poll are in a minority, though I congratulate them on being ready, for anything.
Please, please, please....for those reading this, if you are not prepared in the areas of Food, Water and Shelter (this includes heating and cooking) get prepared now. Consider this, if you live in a major metro area, and the water service stops due to electrical outages on the main pump, how will you have water to cook and for drinking (bathing is optional at this point, I hope you know). Also, what about toilet flushing? If the water goes out, please do not even use the toilet in your home, make a 5 gallon bucket toilet and use that, burying any waste in the back yard....it may sound gross, but believe me it's better than having a backed up toilet inside the house, where you are living.
Well, we are off to church. I will be praying for those affected in this area, and be praying that they wake up in order to get better prepared for the next time, and for every day living in general
We talked about evangelism at church today, and the reasons behind "our" (meaning Christians) unwillingness to evangelize in today's world. Many ideas were tossed around from fear of rejection to laziness. In Matthew, Jesus instructs us to have compassion for those around us, so while the status of their eternal destination is very important, their physical needs here on earth are also.
A lot of my recent rantings of people being unprepared for life's disasters, I realize may sound too critical, but it is out of concern that I encourage others to get prepared. I now know that I need to also develop relationships with those around me to help address their spiritual needs, as well as, their physical needs. I do struggle with feeling compassion for those around me, especially, when I see that the mess they are in, is from their own making. So, please bear with me as I continue to struggle with showing others active compassion, while attempting to teach them how to be prepared for the struggles that daily life brings.
I will be praying that God brings opportunities into my life that will allow me to be a good Christian witness, as well as, opportunities to teach about preparedness and self sufficiency.
No comments:
Post a Comment