Okay, a warning....I am about to rant ;-)
I read this morning that the governor of California wants to raise taxes. How stupid is that idea? We are headed into a depression, over 70,000 jobs were cut last week alone, and legislators all across the nation are considering raising income taxes, and sales taxes. That's right, I'm going to step on you while you are down. Great mentality there!
I don't play golf, and am lucky that the majority of car repairs my husband can fix, but my word. Car repairs? Isn't the cost of labor high enough? People cannot afford to buy new cars, and I am not sure that even if they could "afford" it at this moment, that it is a good idea to buy a new car right now. The best option is to be frugal and fiscally responsible and repair what you have, but adding taxes on top of an already strapped demographic is absurd.
I was also reading an investing newsletter I receive in an email. Now we used to contribute to 401K, but contrary to what many others feel that it IS actually a GOOD time to invest in the stock market because it is down, we disagree. I am sure others in the 1930's thought it was a good time to buy low, that is until the entire stock market crashed. I can read and learn from history, and the writing is clearly on the wall. If you cannot pay off all your debt now, you have ZERO business contributing to a 401K, the stock market, mutual funds, CDs, etc. Your cash and assets need to be liquid. It is better to be safe and sorry, and God does call us to be good stewards of what he has given us, and throwing good money after bad is not being a good steward. My advice is to cash in everything, pay off as much debt as you can (credit card debt would be last on the list) especially housing, and make sure you have enough food to weather the continuing economic crisis. If credit card debt is ALL you have, then by all means pay it off, but credit card debt is primarily unsecured debt, and if it comes to having a secure, paid for place to live, and enough food, the cards can go unpaid for a time. Now is the time to downsize, not 2 months from now, but now, actually two years ago was a better time, but please do not wait for the last minute. I wish I had put my house up for sale two years ago, but I am trying not to stress too much. I did make the comment to several people that I wasn't TOO worried about the mortgage, as I would just walk away from the house, before I sacrificed my children's welfare. The comments I received back "what about your equity in the house?" A fat lot of good equity is going to do me when I have depleted my savings, and the house is STILL foreclosed on. I'll just be without a house, without equity, and NO money.
Now for child care. I listened to an online radio show this morning where the "parenting consultant" was complaining that the U.S. is behind the curve in the area of subsidizing daycare, and that the majority of parents spend between 17-20% of their monthly income on daycare. I will soon have four children, and not once did I ever expect the government to pay the cost of daycare for me. Yes, daycare takes a huge chunk out of your paycheck, but again re-evaluate your situation, it IS possible for one parent to stay home, IF you sacrifice and are willing to be a little less materialistic.
It actually costs MORE to have a two person household. Especially, if you have children. It is not my responsibility, as a taxpayer, to pay for someone else's child care. The U.S. is by no means "behind" the curve. I applaud our nation for not having wide-scale subsidized child care, it's not the government's responsibility. And the thought that the "great Unifer" is planning on throwing away even more tax dollars towards "0-5 education" and providing federal block grants to "low income" parents to pay for child care, really makes me angry. The fact that today we have more mothers in the work force (in a two parent household) than any time in history has not escaped me. Please, please, please, scale down, and have one parent stay home (mom or dad). It is the parent's responsibility to care for and educate their child not society's or the government.
In my opinion, if I have to pay taxes that will be used for child care then I should be eligible to receive child care, but it doesn't normally work that way. People who work hard, pay more in taxes, receive less benefits, because well, they work, and have a good job. So, they are then penalized because they "make too much". The tax dollars then go towards providing even more benefits to low income households, who often don't pay much, if any, taxes at all.
I get so frustrated when I do taxes for people, and see how much (or little) they make. I know of one family that is extremely lazy, both parents work sporadically, live in a shack with five kids, often no electricity, begs around town for handouts (food, money, clothing), but yet receives over $8K a year in an income tax refund??? In addition, their electricity is subsidized when they have it, their water is paid for by the city, they receive food stamps, Medicaid and more. I do not define these people as needy. Needy, is when you are doing ALL that you can to survive, and you can't make it. Needy IS NOT being lazy, and milking society for all it's worth. These people are a perfect example of why we do not need MORE government programs. We actually need to get rid of government programs, and expect people to work for what they receive.
We are a one income family, and yes there are times (right now for instance) I wish I qualified for food stamps, but we make "too much". Too much to qualify, not enough to buy groceries. Oh, I can buy staples, but I spend way below the national average for a family our size. We spend roughly $280 a month, and believe me my kids can eat. I manage to get by on this amount because I cook and bake, and rarely buy pre-packaged foods. Plus, when I have had surplus funds in the past, I stocked up on staples and meats. Back to the food stamps.... I realize that there are truly needy families out there, and if the food stamp program was cut they would be in dire straits, I feel for these families, but what to do? It is often the case where the good pay for the actions of the bad. During tough economic times likes we are seeing, it is the time to seek help from family, friends, community and church, NOT the government.
Be prepared! Be ready! Re-read Proverbs 31 to remind yourself of what God's design is for a TRUE Proverbs 31 woman.
No comments:
Post a Comment