Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Saving on the Electric Bill

I watched a video this morning on ABC News that had challenged two families to cut their electric bills by 30%. I was shocked that these families electric bills were $500-$700 a month! I've only ever had an electric bill that high once, and I believe it was a couple of summers ago. We were having record 115 degree temps.

A couple of years ago we resorted to not using the AC until it was over 95. The AC is set on 78, we use ceiling fans in each room as well as, box fans throughout the house to keep the temps bearable.

We went from $300 a month to between $76-$110 a month. Our bill has edged back up, as I have reincorporated dryer usage into the equation. Our bills are between $186-$250 a month. We took down the clothes line when the house was for sale, as Rodney thought it was tacky looking. I need to put it back up though.

I am mentally going over our energy usage now, and two areas I think could be worked on are:

shower length
dryer usage

I'd also like to work on the lights being turned off more. I already wash in mostly cold (exceptions are sheets when people have been sick, and diapers). I don't have a dishwasher, and wash the dishes only a couple times a week, though I know I could do better in this area, especially in conserving water.

According to the video I watched the thermostat is the biggest user of energy. We don't have that here, as we have heated with wood since 1999. We do have a space heater for the bath and for a back room that is furthermost from the wood stove. These are not on all the time. I make the kids dress in cold weather (jeans, socks and a sweater), and cooler in the summer (shorts and tanks). Plus, I usually have the windows open, and the shades lowered on the sunnier part of the house.

At the land, our electric bill is around $40.00 a month, though $25.00 of that is a regular "fee" imposed by the electric company. So that puts my bill around $15.00 for actual electricity. This pays for the well usage to pump water, and the occasional fan. Normally, I use the car and an inverter to power the fan, and the kids TV/VCR/DVD combo when needed. We have solar lights in the cabin, and cook on propane. Of course, once we are out there full time, the bill will go up, but I do want to incorporate energy saving costs now.

My expectations for energy usage will be:

refrigerator
two burner stove top (we have one, but use propane, plus a coleman stove)
microwave (maybe)
washer (hang clothes on line)
tankless water heater (unplug when not in use)
TV/DVD
Computer charging (laptop)
Battery Charging (radios, lamps, remotes) - this is a weekly thing so shouldn't cost too much

In addition to less usage, we also have a generator to help with electric needs in the barn and around the property (power tools, especially).

So, I'd like to challenge everyone to cutting their electric bills by 30%, that would be $60.00 for me, according to my highest bill. If you'd like to participate, please report back here the end of April to chime in on how much you have saved.

**************************
Update on cabin:

We finished running the water line to the cabin, installed the water tank and pressure switch. Also installed a couple of spigots to bring water closer to the cabin. All that is left now (water wise) is to drill the holes in the floor of the cabin to run the water inside the cabin, and run the pipe to the toilet, shower and then the kitchen sink. The water for the toilet will drain into the septic tank, the other items will drain outside to my garden to water that....we will have to change from pouring items down the drain that will harm the garden or impair the septic tank.

I'd like to implement this kind of water heating at the cabin, to go along with the tankless system.

The integral collector/storage is the simplest and historically oldest type of solar water heating system. Paint a tank black, put it in a big crate, insulate it on all sides except the one covered by glass or plastic, and point it at the sun. Water in the tank is heated directly by the sun and stored in the same unit. In the trade, this is also know as a breadbox-type system. An example of a manufactured unit of this type is the Servamatic™. Produced in the 1970s, many are still operational today. The same principle can be seen in today’s ProgressiveTube™ unit (Fig. 5). These are also in-line units, positioned between the well and the shower. You get as much hot water as they collect and store.

No comments: