Friday, March 6, 2009



Well, I went and ordered the paint for the cabin. Originally, we were going with white to help reflect the heat off the cabin, but really no amount of color is going to help a metal container sitting in a field in South Texas, so we are painting it a sand color to help blend in with the countryside around it. We are painting the inside white. I am also picking up the film for the windows. It states that it reduces 70% of heat coming through the windows, so hopefully that will help. My other option is placing a sprinkler on the roof, and running it full time during the hottest part of the summer to help lower the temps some. I am also looking at a military camo tent to go over the cabin that will, with luck, deflect some of the heat also. I want to insulate it eventually too.

I also picked up another gallon of the white gloss for the interior, and a small can of stain to re-do my great grandmother's dining room table. The girls both picked out a flower to plant beside where my dad's ashes are placed. I really wanted to get a lot of veggies and blackberry bushes, but I restrained myself. I need the money more for the cabin than for plants.

After work today, we headed to town to purchase the items to install the toilet. We didn't take the truck, we should have, which would have saved us a trip and gas. We will have to go back tomorrow to get the rest of the PVC pipe and the concrete pilings to put under the cabin. It will have to be jacked up and leveled to get it to the appropriate height. The plan is also to get the tankless water heater tomorrow, as well as, stop by the Habitat for Humanity store and check on the availability of their 36" wide shower stall. I had also checked for items for the kitchen, and located an 8 foot long counter top for $50.00 and a double stainless steel sink for $30.00. Instead of cabinet bases, I hope to use the rough cut lumber that we have that is about 12 feet long to make heavy legs for the counter. That way I can store my wheat buckets and such under the counter top. It will also save us money by using lumber we have instead of buying those expensive kitchen cabinet bases. I haven't broached the subject of open shelving yet, trying to get one thing done at a time. We finished painting the floor of the cabin using the Hunter Green Porch Paint. I like it, though it does show dusty foot prints really well.

So far it looks like this:

toilet installed and connected to septic - DONE
trench dug and pipe laid from well to toilet - DONE
shower stall installed - DONE
run commercial grade extension cords from power pole to cabin - DONE
mount and plug in tankless water heater for kitchen sink and shower
build counter for kitchen area
install sink
install two burner stove (this will be for later use, as we will cook on the propane stove for now)
buy propane for stove
paint cabin - DONE
install AC
put film on windows
build walls to enclose bathroom - DONE
set up cabin
start going through stuff
MOVE

Buy:

quilts for walls
counter top
shelving
counter fridge
film for windows
2 gallons paint - sand
wood flooring


*still need to purchase items to finish the other tasks above

Ideas for small spaces: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wolfe92.html

No comments: