Monday, April 14, 2008

Disappearing Herd


I don't remember posting yesterday about the 14 stray cattle on our property. They are Charolais. I knew right away they were an expensive herd and well taken care of... i called the sheriff's department to report them, but no one came to claim them until this evening. A Mr. Outlaw, and his son stopped by, they waited for the son's wife to arrive with a horse to herd the cattle back to their pasture, about 2 miles away. Apparently, he used to lease the property we have now, and he warned us that the rattlesnakes are really bad out here. Gee! Great! I warned the girls to be careful, to stay in the cleared areas only, on the four wheeler or truck and to NOT stick there hands in any brush, or such. I need to check into getting a couple of peacocks to eat the snakes.

I was a little disappointed, because I was hoping that I'd be able to keep them, if they weren't claimed in the required amount of time.

Rodney and Taylor worked at clearing the dead trees, and brush from the tree line.
His parents showed up around 4 pm or so, his mom sat in the shade, and his dad watched for a while, until Taylor got hurt. Taylor got his foot caught under the scraper blade, and his ankle is pretty bruised. Praise God it didn't get broken. Taylor had to sit out for the rest of the afternoon, so Rodney's dad helped pull the brush out.

I watered the garden and the trees with Lauren and Mrs. Edge's help. The watermelon's are sprouting all over the place. I need to get Rodney to disc up the field next to the well, so that I can get my pumpkins planted in the next month or so..they take about 4 months to grow.

No comments: