Thursday, April 3, 2008

Planting time


Today the kids and I headed out to the land, though I called it a farm today, and got a strange look from Hannah. LOL!

We planted 15 tomato plants, 4 jalapeno, 3 cantelope, 4 basil, and 2 cucumber plants. I also planted more cucumber, but used seeds. Taylor and I hoed, planted and watered 5 rows of corn. It was supposed to be four, but I got distracted, and he planted one too many. The rows are 100 feet long, and have a seed every 12 inches, so that is 100 seeds per row. Normally (so FIL says) each stalk will have two good ears, so that is 100 X 2 = 200 ears per row X 5 rows = 1000 ears of corn. IF everything goes the way it should. Once we were done, I prayed for God to watch over the garden, protecting it from animals, storms and insects, allowing us to harvest a crop. I know 1000 ears of corn sounds like a lot, it does to me too. We will eat some, and will good planning and intestinal fortitude I will can the rest.

I still have green beans, okra, watermelon, pumpkins, beets and mescullin to plant, I just ran out of time. We worked in the garden for four hours, and even though I put sunscreen on, I am badly burned on my face, neck and upper chest. We had to leave around 3:30, so that I could pick up some tax paperwork from a client. I have four business clients to complete taxes for this weekend, which should net me $400. Praise God! I need more fencing for the land.

I went with Taylor early to his college to help him complete an assignment for his computer class. I read the instructions, and explained to him, while he did the work on the computer. It took us only about 30 minutes to complete, which was better than I had expected. Taylor checked four books out of the college library for me to read, though he was embarrassed he had to check romance novels out. LOL!

I dropped him off around 6 p.m., outside the building for his evening class and went home. He called me at 9 p.m. to come pick him up. I got there around 9:30 pm, and we went to Starbucks for a quick treat. (I started a couple of years ago, trying to spend "one-on-one" time with each child once a week. This involves them running errands with me solo, while staying with their dad. Normally, Thursdays are Taylor's and my time together, since it is his class night. We talk on the way to school, and home, and sometimes we stop at Whataburger for a milkshake (for him) and at Starbucks (for me). He is much nicer to be around when his sisters are not there....

Tomorrow we are off to the elementary school for Lauren to watch her friend Cheyenne in her school's production of "High School Musical". Of course Hannah and I are going too, while Taylor cleans the backyard and studies for his exam that is tomorrow afternoon. I just LOVE how he always waits to the last minute to complete his assignments (rolling eyes here). It really irritates me, especially, today when I had to run him to school early to work on his homework.

Well, it's time for bed. Everyone have a great weekend!

P.S. forgot to mention we planted our fruit trees the other night (2 apple, 2 peach, 2 nectarine) and one oak tree. We still need to plant the 2 mexican lime, blackberry bushes, 21 black walnut "seedlings" and 10 live oak "seedlings".

Received 3/4 inch of rain the other day, and 2 eggs today from the chickens. Now if the other two would start laying EVERY day, that'd be wonderful!

No comments: