Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Smell of Bread

I don't think there is anything better than the smell of bread. Unless, it's a cooking ham. I made boneless smoked pork chops for dinner, which give off that smoky, salty smell that you can taste, and along with the fresh bread I made, was YUM!

It's a beautiful day, in the 80's and sunny. We had a day at home, catching up on school work, and then driving down to the next town to go to the library. We have a small library here, but recently applied for a card closer to where we will be living. It's a much bigger library, and nicer.

After dinner, the girls and I drove out to check on the chickens. They were totally out of water, and food! So, we filled both gallon containers, and I filled the feed container with a mixture of, about 1/2 way full, of scratch, laying mash, and oyster shell. The scratch metal trash can had four little mice huddled in it. Kind of startled me, when I reached in.....someone had left the lid off...hmmm...One little mouse was dead (probably the Decon I put out), and the other two babies and mama size mouse I scooped up in the scoop and dumped them on the ground. They'll get into the Decon before too long, I'm not going to actually squish them myself, especially with the girls watching (they wanted to keep them as pets...rolling eyes here).

Lauren made brownies tonight, it's a small pan, but they were good (all gone now). Tomorrow we are headed to the Zoo, and will hang out in the Reptile building, getting a good eyeful at the snakes, so hopefully we will recognize a good one from a bad one (rattlesnakes, copperheads and water moccasins). I still can't believe we killed two this past week! How scary!

Lauren is still reading "My side of the mountain" and is determined to get a Perigrine falcon of her own someday. We looked up the information, and she needs to read as much info as possible about hawks, falcons, birds of prey, and falconry in general. She can then apply for an Apprentice permit, which takes two years to complete, and then it takes seven MORE years to become a Master Falconer. Don't know if she'll make it, but she's reading more, so who am I to complain. LOL!

She starts tennis lessons next Wednesday, as part of a homeschooling group. They are $10.00 a lesson, so affordable.

Friday, is Homeschoolers Day at Fiesta Texas, and we plan to attend.
******************************************
I wanted to let everyone know about a worthy Scholarship program. It is a therapeutic riding stable called Seven Gables Farm. A friend of mine has a little girl who takes riding lessons there, and I am trying to do what I can to help raise money for her little girl to continue with the lessons.

If you don't have a child with a disability, you don't understand how hard it is to find something that gets across to them, and that they can develop an interest in....this friend has NOT asked for any help, but I'd love for everyone to pray, and consider sponsoring a week. It is $45 a week. If you are interested please let me know and I can send Pay Pal, or if you wish to remain anonymous go to www.sevengablesfarm.com, print off the general scholarship form, and mail to the riding stable. The funds can be designated in the name of Allie Johnson. The Johnson's have several children with disabilities, and are adoptive/foster parents.

No comments: