Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Strawberry Festival

Well, we were all lazy today, and no one got out of the bed until 10 a.m. I made whole wheat pancakes (with the wheat flour that Rodney ground last night) bacon and OJ for breakfast. The doorbell rang while I was cooking, and it was my FIL. He came over to ask if he could help put in fence posts at the new homestead. How dare he! LOL! Like Rodney is going to say no to help, even though his dad is in his mid 70's, he is still going strong. Sometimes better than me in my late 30's and Rodney in his early 40's.

The guys headed out to the land, while the girls and I got dressed and headed over to the Strawberry Festival. We only stayed about 3 hours, which is all the walking around I can take. We bought fancy sunglasses and cowboy hats, ate lunch and strawberry shortcake while watching the Oklahoma Indian group dance. We looked for the petting zoo but couldn't find it. I also bought a flat of strawberries (don't ask the price) to make strawberry jam. I like to buy from the local farmers whenever I can, in the hopes that people will one day start buying from me.

Headed out to the land after leaving the festival. Drove in the gate at the land, and was surprised by a small herd of Charlois cattle in the pasture. I was confused, as our friend who is giving us a few head of cattle raises Angus, not Charlois. When we got out Rodney said he bought the entire herd for $900. Well, I knew right away he was lying, because there was a bull in that herd, and Charlois bulls go for a lot more than $900. Apparently, these were strays. I contacted the sheriff's department to let them know if someone was looking for their cattle, I knew where they were located. Left my phone number. Shortly, someone came looking for their lost ....Pyranees dogs. Rodney had seen those earlier chasing the cattle, so he let them know which direction they headed.

The cattle left us little surprises all through the pasture, which I will collect in a couple of days, and add to the compost pile. Rodney ran the water pump in the pond most of the day to aerate the pond. They made great progress on the fence posts, and are over half way done with one side. He should be done by the end of this week, and will be able to start putting up the hog wire. So it looks like by the end of this month, I should be able to get my animals out there...

ETA: cool link at http://crabappleherbs.com/blog/

no eggs today
corn is up

No comments: