Saturday, October 11, 2008

Camping Out, Part 2

Well, after having the "cabin" in some sort of living order we spent the night at the land last night.

Immediately after work we headed out to the land where I fried the dove breasts for the guys, along with the rattlesnake. The snake didn't go over well, even the dogs wouldn't eat it....

The rest of us (Blake's wife Stacey, me and the kids ate fried chicken). I had spent all day running errands yesterday, which included a stop by Walmart where I picked up an inexpensive King comforter for the bed, a king sheet, thermal, blackout curtains for all three windows, clothes for Hannah (she has outgrown hers recently) and a few odds and ends for school work.

Before heading to the land I did make a run by the grocery store to get a few items ($95.00 worth), and purchased some items for breakfast for the morning (cereal, milk, juice).

We hooked up the generator and the girls watched a DVD on the TV, while Rodney and I rested on the bed and "discussed" our differing viewpoints of building the container house. Around 10:30 p.m. we headed for bed. With the curtains shut, it was pitch black inside of the cabin. Yep, they are black out curtains, couldn't see a thing inside or from the outside. I didn't sleep all that well with Hannah's hand hitting me in the face most of the night. Between the coyotes howling, the dogs barking, an owl hooting, and the off and on feeling of being stuffy. Everyone else was cold, but I was sweating.

We got up around 9:30 a.m. It was hard to tell what time it was with it being so dark inside. The horrible part of the entire thing is that apparently some time in the night, my jeans fell off the sewing machine where I had draped the, and we were invaded by fire ants. I didn't notice until I put the jeans on. I am bitten everywhere from my waist to my ankles. It was horrible. We moved furniture around, swept, the girls picked up trash around the barn and porch, while Rodney killed weeds. I cleaned the cabin, wiping everything off, and putting utensils, food items, and such in the buffet cabinet. I dusted, swept, cleaned the chimney to the kerosene lamp (which came in very useful last night), and sacked up all the trash to take to the dumpster. It looks very nice inside, though not ready for full time living yet.

We came home and took showers, and washed some clothes, then we headed into town for lunch. We ate at Arby's, which we haven't done in a long time and headed to the Habitat for Humanity store. There were lots of great things we can use. They have the door we wanted for $29.99! We will go back, with the truck, and get that on Friday, along with a small vanity/sink that was also $29.00. We did purchase a brand new toilet made by American Standard for $19.99! I had paid about $70.00 each (if I remember right) for the two I purchased several months ago. This toilet will be for the cabin.

A few things I learned from last night is that I need more:

lamps
ant spray
eating utensils
cups
additional fuel for the generator
ice (didn't buy enough)

I also plan to purchase an RV solar panel and/or another power source. The generator is way too loud.

Rodney is planning to take the tank, pressure switch, piping and breakers from the well here at the house to use at the land. When we had the house for sale, we were planning to leave it here, but now that we have it off the market waiting for things to improve, we are going to use those items. Plus, I am trying to decided if I want to take the expensive wood stove out of the house, and buy a smaller, cheaper one to go for inside the house, for when we do sell it. The have them at Ace Hardware relatively cheap ($150.00)

Well, gotta go, need to wash dishes and do laundry.

No comments: