Sunday, October 5, 2008

Picture of dream kitchen again ;-)

This weekend was pretty normal. We spent most of the day at the land moving more boxes out of the storage container (will try and refer to it as our cabin from now on). I need to get my blue tarp to spread over the top of my cardboard boxes, just in case the barn roof leaks, plus buy some rat poison to set out.

All that is left in the container is furniture, two beds, two book cases, a buffet, 4 chairs and my great grandmother's dining room table.


Rodney was able to put a window in the end opposite the double doors. This allows for a very nice breeze, which blows from North to South on a constant basis out at the land. Much cooler! This picture shows the back view...the double doors are visible through the window, and the truck is parked in front. We will be sanding off the rust, and painting the container a tan color, inside and out. Right under this window will be my bed, then to the left with be a small bath, just tub and toilet. The girls beds are next along the left wall, then the galley kitchen will be in the middle, with the living room area at the far end by the double doors. We plan to close the double doors, and install the wood stove in the far end, right side.

I spent last night going through craigslist looking for a variety of items:

-paint (designed for metal) - found what we need for $50.00 for 10 gallons-great deal, one gallon is around $30 here.
-a steel or solid wood front door-found one for $40.00 and $80.00, need to decide which I want.
- a bathtub (1920 cast iron tub) for $75.00
- more windows
- solar items

This weekend we are planning to spend the night in the cabin, cleaning up and getting ready to paint on Saturday. I will work on setting up what furniture we are going to use and keep, hanging up a curtain, and marking off where I want the girls bunk to go, the galley kitchen, and the living room area and wood stove.

Next on my list is to find a small shed to put behind the storage container, that way I can put some of my pantry goods in there, along with the washer and dryer.

I will be looking for a home for the following items/maybe selling them:

couch
coffee table
entertainment center
large screen TV
two double beds/mattresses
Lauren's hutch (that may go into the barn)
two dressers
LOTS of odds and ends

Today was church, and Brittany's baby shower. We had fun laughing with all the other women, and looking through all the baby stuff Brittany received.

The girls and I left to pick up Rodney and head out to the land to feed and water the chickens/dogs. We ate dinner in the storage container, sitting at the table. It was very peaceful and nice. I don't care that people think I am weird for wanting to live in the storage container. I am excited about the idea, looking forward to living more simply, and with less expense. I wonder why I am the strange one, when everyone else is rushing around to their jobs and activities, paying outrageous mortgage and car payments, and never spending enough time together as a family. It's kind of sad really, they are so busy with life, they aren't getting to enjoy their life or family. Rush, rush, rush. What kind of life is that?

We put the wagon, 4 wheeler, and log splitter back in the barn, as it was looking like it was going to rain. It was pretty dark, windy and was getting quite chilly.

As a side note, I need to take the following things to the land on Friday, so we can spend the night in comfort.

sheets
blankets
pillows
tv/dvd player
ice chest/ice
curtain for window
porta potty (clean and put in cabin)
table cloth
lamps (kerosene or battery operated)
furniture polish
rags
window cleaner

No comments: