Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Homeschooling


Well, we have passed the first six weeks of schoolwork. I used this first six weeks as a review of last year and to determine where the girls are academically.

I think they are doing great, but hey I am their mom LOL!

I had started out planning to use all the E.D. Hirsch books, Preschool, Kinder and first grade for Hannah, and all of them up to sixth grade for Lauren. I didn't plan to teach out of all of them for Lauren, but have her read all the information in them as part of her reading, to refresh her and to make sure we covered all areas. But somehow all of the books have been misplaced with the exception of three. I cannot locate them for the life of me, and I had them at the beginning of summer.

So, while I am using the 5th grade book for Lauren to make sure she has covered those areas, I have moved on to using the established curriculum of the Old Fashioned Education site. I like their schedule as they have a 40 week schedule. It uses the McGuffey readers. I already have the 5th reader, and I ordered the 2nd and 3rd from paperbackswap, but all are located on the site as PDF files, along with many of the texts used in the curriculum. It's a little fast paced, which I like, and Lauren excels at. I plan to do the 5th grade schedule this first semester and the 6th grade next semester. Lauren is a mixture of grade levels in different subject, which is natural, as most kids are this way.

She is about a late 5th grade on her math, and we just finished reviewing, and are heading into Chapter 6 of her Basic Math text. She tests 6th grade in everything else (though one of my sister's disagrees. Go figure.)

I have a classical reading list that Lauren chooses books at the library, plus we have lots already. Her current book she is reading is Swiss Family Robinson. Next is Treasure Island, which I found at an antique shop yesterday.

Today was a long day in school work. I try to take two days a week and extend them to 5 hours of school work, as opposed to our normal 2-3. Hannah's goes fast, as she is in kindergarten and her schedule is not that taxing for her. Lauren's takes the longest, but she is older and can work on more.

If you are interested in seeing what they are working on you can go here:

For Hannah - http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/0_kindergarden_schedule.pdf

and Lauren - http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/5th_grade_schedule.pdf

The site itself is at http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/

I really like this curriculum and if it goes well this year, maybe I'll use it for the rest of the girls (and baby James ;-) when the time comes) grades throughout the years.

P.S. I wanted to share this site with you also, it's an awesome blog! http://proverbs14verse1.blogspot.com/

No comments: