Friday, October 24, 2008

Getting started on my wheat field (sorry no pictures, camera is out of whack, need a new one). We are mowing down the garden area, and expanding the length and width. I'll measure exactly soon, Rodney is borrowing one of those rolling tape measures that has the clicker in it, and gives you the measurement. Once this is done, we will work manure into the area, then I will take turns laying my large tarp over the area to have the daytime heat kill as much of the weed seeds as possible. We will be actually planting the wheat by mid November. This is the first year we will be planting wheat, so we will see how it goes.

We appear to be running over with deer, turkey, coyotes and hawks lately, as well as, raccoons. I hope they don't eat too many of my fish. We are finding lots of evidence of raccoons in the mud around the pond.

Lost one of my old hens last week, I think it must have been old age or something, as she didn't have any apparent injuries. I feel bad she was one of the first hens I ever started with, and was nothing but a trash or game chicken, but she gave me experience in caring for chickens.

The chickens I have now are so different, so fat and healthy looking compared to her and her two sisters.

I do have too many roosters, four cuckoo marans if anyone is looking for a rooster, and wants to add dark chocolate colored eggs to their genetic line.

We cleaned up around the cabin this week, depositing trash that the dogs manage to drag out, as well as, splitting more wood. It really needs to be stacked but we'll get to that eventually.

Rodney is working on caulking the cabin windows to get them water tight.

On my list to buy this weekend are fire bricks for the old wood stove, so it can be taken out and installed in the cabin. This is just a necessity. I cannot have the girls in the cabin in such cold weather, and risk them getting sick. We are out of the wind, but the chill and extreme dampness is a problem. Lauren always has a cough after we stay the weekend, so some sort of heat is absolutely necessary before we stay in the cabin again.

I took the girls to Sea World today for a couple of hours, they were having their annual Halloween themed stuff today. We normally don't celebrate Halloween, but we did go and the girls sat and watched a teenage magician and we went to a Creepy Creature show which featured live animals (burmese python, hissing cockroaches, lizards, lemurs). A very good field trip and I am listing this under a science lesson, as the talk was very informative.

The girls played on the Pirate ship in the kid's area, as well as, played in the sand.

Well, off to bed, we have a busy day tomorrow with cleaning, and attending a hay ride in the evening.

No comments: