Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Going Green....

I am not a die in the wool environmentalist, nor do I believe in total veganism. I believe in being a good steward of what God has provided, and in eating healthy. I prescribe to the belief that is verified in the Bible that everything that God created that is good to eat, can be eaten, even animals. By choice I don't eat a lot of red meat, mainly because after cooking and smelling I often lose my appetite and eat something lighter.

Since planting my garden this year I have eaten more vegetables than I have ever eaten. I also think about the pesticides on the food that I buy and feed my family, primarily for health reasons.

While I enjoy being "green" as possibe, and at a level I can afford, I do it for purely economic reasons, it can be cheaper., For this reason alone I'd like to encourage people to be more "green". A few examples of the things I have done the past year are:

1) replaced ALL the light bulbs in my house with the compact flourescents
2) used fans in place of the AC (except on those really hot days)
3) hang out my laundry more instead of using the dryer
4) collect rain water (except the past few months) to water plants (we have had too much rain I didn't bother to collect much, plus the mosquitoes are bad, and I didn't want to provide a breeding ground)
5) planted a garden for fresh, organic veggies
6) utilized the natural plants (wild grapes) to make jelly
7) quit my job (this allows me to stay home more, thereby cutting down on gas, mileage and maintenance of car)
8) I do not buy as much pre packaged food, preferring to cook from scratch as well as bake...

I'd love to have solar energy, and even would love to turn off my electricity, relying on a cheaper form of energy or even none at all (except for charging batteries, the phone and computer in the car)

Yahoo has a new "green" feature where you calculate your impact. Apparently, the average person in the world emits 9.44 tons CO2 per year. According to my input I emit 6.6 tons. I think it may be lower because there wasn't a way to put in exactly how many miles we drive, which is low, nor was there a way to show that we use a wood stove for heat vs. an electric heater. Plus, this past year we planted 6 trees in our yard.

I also lowered my bill from $600 last year at this time to an average of $100.00 per month this year.

No comments: