
The recipe for the grape jelly is listed here on my blog, but I wanted to share a few things that I learned in making this type of jelly. Use rubber gloves when picking grapes, scissors to cut off the vine (instead of pulling) it's easier and faster, and the gloves again when washing and picking off the stems.
The second thing I learned is to make the jelly in small batches, don't double or triple the recipe. I did this, and I ended up with some really great grape syrup (yummy on waffles). It didn't jell into jelly.
I also learned that using a noodle colander and having a wire strainer helps to get the jelly extremely pulp free (which isn't important to me, but I know some people prefer a clearer, pulp free jelly.)
Part of the recipe calls for straining the grapes with cheesecloth, I found this too messy and harder to do.....putting it in the colander and strainer and mashing it with a spoon was much easier, cleaner and effective....
I don't know if all these things I discovered are somewhere written down already, but I have made jelly for a long time, and some of these things were new to me.
Another tip is to start with a clean kitchen, bleach the sink, wash all the jars, and start the water boiling to sterilize the jars ALL before you start making the jelly. Makes for a much smoother process if you don't have a bunch of other stuff sitting out on the counters.
I now have a counter filled with canned grape jelly, juice and my new syrup (LOL!) and it's a welcome sight to provide this for my family in addition to being able to sell some and bring in a little money for the household.
So, get out there and pick those grapes before they are gone! Ace hardware has a great buy on canning cars, and the cheapest pectin I have found is at HEB (even Walmart was more expensive).
No comments:
Post a Comment